Before I became a parent, I made serious vows. I vowed to never take my kids to McDonald’s, never feed them donuts for breakfast, and absolutely never let them sleep in my bed.
Wonder how that’s working for me?
Not good. I’ve broken all these vows. The mother I thought I’d become was different. Seriously, she was impressive. She was supposed to purée baby food using only organic ingredients. Wash and reuse cloth diapers . . .
Three kids later, I’m nowhere near the poster girl for parenthood. Today I’m coming clean. I want to share a small sampling of my failures. Here are five parenting fails in no particular order:
1. Co-sleeping- I’m a sucker when it comes to sleeping with my babies. I don’t believe in sleep training a newborn.
2. Withholding the Pacifier- Don’t give your baby a pacifier. It causes nipple confusion. I don’t buy it. If my baby cries, I’m popping a pacifier in his mouth.
3. The “Because I said so” trope- I cringed the first time I said these words aloud. But what was I supposed say? My son asked why he can’t continue flushing cheese down the toilet.
4. Regulating Cellphone Usage- I have no excuse for this one. I let my kids play with my iPhone during long car drives. I know, it’s foolish.
5. Banning Food Coloring- Red 40 is the most commonly used dye in kiddie food. Traces can be found in some of my favorite cereals.
Glad I got that out of the way. Now we can commiserate over a Happy Meal? I know some people think “McDonald’s is the work of the devil.” I think it’s a lifesaver for toddlers who are picky eaters.
Are you guilty of any parenting fails?